GHC Urgent and Emergency Options
For immediate help with an urgent mental health crisis, 24-hour crisis intervention services are available for GHC-SCW members.
Monday-Friday 8-5: If you are considering suicide or experiencing behavioral health emergency, call GHC-SCW at (608) 441-3290 from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Nights and Weekends: For crisis intervention services outside of these hours, call (608) 257-9700. You will be assisted by a nurse or an on-call crisis counselor who will help you to address your behavioral health emergency and any safety concerns.
PLEASE NOTE: After hours behavioral health crisis DOES NOT prescribe medications, cancel, or make appointments, send messages to your BH provider, or connect you to your BH provider after hours. For these services, please call during business hours M-F.
If your situation is immediately life-threatening, please call 911 or safely get yourself to the nearest hospital emergency room.
Local Hospital Emergency Rooms
UW Hospital Emergency Room, 600 Highland Ave., (608) 262-2398.
Meriter Hospital Emergency Room, 202 S Park St, (608) 417-6206.
Community and Nationwide Crisis Options
Click here to access a PDF of community and nationwide suicide crisis resources.
Journey Mental Health Crisis Line (local crisis line for those who are not a GHC member): 608-280-2600
- 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255) - National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
- 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433)
- 1-888-628-9454 for Spanish-speaking counselors.
- 1-866-4-U-TREVOR (1-866-488-7386) For lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, or questioning youth, contact The Trevor Project
Additional website support:
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Speaking of Suicide site that is FULL of resources: https://www.speakingofsuicide.com/resources.
- Hopeline: www.hopeline.com
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention: www.afsp.org
Trevor Project – Saving Young LGBT Lives: www.thetrevorproject.org
Now Matters Now - Skills for managing intense emotions: www.NowMattersNow.org.
Text Resource https://www.crisistextline.org/
Websites with info on suicide hotlines by city/region of Wisconsin:
Text for help
- Text MATTERS or HOME to 741741 - Crisis Text Line is the free, 24/7, confidential text message service for people in crisis. A live, trained crisis counselor receives the text and responds quickly.
- Trevor Project text: Text START to 678678 Available 24/7/365.
- Trevor Project live chat: @ www.thetrevorproject.org Available 24/7/365.
- Lifeline Crisis Chat @chat.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/GetHelp/LifelineChat.aspx. This is through the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24 hours a day.
Chronic Suicide Support Forum can be found in this site: ChronicSuicideSupport.com.
This site offers an opportunity for nonjudgmental, supportive discussion about chronic suicidal thoughts, with others who have experienced them as well.